Wednesday, March 21, 2018

ULM Diagramming Tool : draw.io

Diagramming is one of the frequent task I am ask to do as a Technical Architect of the 3rd largest Fintech company in the world. Designing a software requires creating loads of UML diagrams to show different processes of the system. Diagrams like component, sequence, class and deployment topology are some of the common diagrams that you will find in software design and implementation documents. These diagrams help the developers and implementor quickly understand the end to end system processes.

Based on my experience, when someone ask you some technical things like interaction between systems, explaining them with diagrams tend to help them quickly grasp what you really wanted to convey. 

I used different diagramming tool like MSVisio which is easy to use but a bit expensive. I have one installed in my laptop but was removed when our office IS pushed the Windows update to my laptop. I don't know why, perhaps due to the license cost. I tried different free UML diagramming tools like umlet and ArgUML but they are difficult to use and I don't like the UI interface. 
Luckily, I found a good one. It is called draw.io. This diagramming tool is amazing. It is web based (no need to download and install stuff) and fast. I can create different diagrams and save them to OneDrive, Google Drive or download to my laptop. It support PNG format too.

You have an option to save the diagram in Google Drive, OneDrive or local device. File save is in HTML format.

You can reload the diagram from Google Drive.



Basic sample diagram. You can save to a cloud drive or local drive. Diagram can be exported as png, jpeg, etc.





Using search function to look for a diagram.




Here are the diagrams that you can use.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Keychron K1 Mechanical Keyboard - Brown Switch

  This is very late review (see some dust in the box :-) ) When you are doing a lot of typing a good keyboard is a must. Laptop keyboard is ...