Thursday, August 23, 2018

Seiko Automatic - SNZG15K1

My first automatic watch… but will not recommend this particular model for anyone to own.

Like any new guy in watch collection fever and based on what I read from the cyber-space, I think Seiko is one of the brand that is a good ‘practice’ watch. Quality is good and with an affordable price which is a good news for someone like me who has a shallow pocket.

I initially decided to buy SNK805 or SNK809 but when I went to SM North Seiko Authorized Dealer, I was immediately fell inlove by the look and size of SNZG15K1; black canvas watch band and bigger dial. Though the band is not comfortable to wear because of some lose threads scratching your skin but I think after a few months of use, it will smooth out or you can change it to some after market watch band; which I did.

Actually, SNK805/809 has a similar look as SNZG15K1 albeit smaller. Based on the reviews, it is a good watch to own if you are starting your watch collection. But with a thousand pesos difference with SNZG15K1, I decided to go for the bigger dial.

SNZG15K1 metal case top part has a matte texture while the lower part shines. As this watch is sports model, you will expect some beating which I think why the top part has matte texture. Shiny case is not good as the matte texture in hiding scratches.  The the 3 o'clock crown has the right size which is easy to use during resetting of time, date and day of the week. To set the date, pull the crown halfway and turn clockwise. Turn the crown counter-clockwise to change the day of the week. Except for Sunday which is red, date and day complications uses white font.
The dial has an elevated hour and minute markings with arabic for hours and 24-hours format in the inner lower part of the dial. It help on the aesthetic part of the watch and help dampen the busy look of the dial.


The only gripe I have with this watch is the power reserve which is only around 10 hours or sometimes way less. You will surely need to reset the watch if you left it for more than 10 hours. Having an automatic winder can help avoid the hassle of winding the watch often - but with its price, I don’t think that is sensible.



See through back cover. Mesmerizing components that makes the clock tick. I am not sure how tough is the cover. So far, it has no visible scratches (yet).



I like the contrast of the white arms and markings against the black dial. The 41 mm width is exactly right size for my wrist size and it is not too thick; still a good dress watch if you change the band to a leather. The dial has day and date complication with un-hackable second hand. Day is in Spanish and english (who still use spanish in asia?).



As I said, good size for my small wrist.



Canvas band not really comfortable to wear but quite sturdy. 




Good packaging. Box contains the watch pillow, manual and warranty card. Hopefully, I will not have to use the warranty provided.




Change to leather band bought from Asprey for 450 pesos. I looked for a semi-shiny one but it is not available. Now, I can use the watch for semi-formal occasion.




Authentic and good quality leather from Asprey.




With comfortable leather watch band.





UPDATE
After a 2 months of use, I can definitely say that I will NOT RECOMMEND this watch. The meager power reserve is something that you would not expect from Seiko. Most of the time power reserve is just about 3 hours! Unacceptable right? Sometimes the day stops in Spanish or halfway to its full turn. Very disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keychron K1 Mechanical Keyboard - Brown Switch

  This is very late review (see some dust in the box :-) ) When you are doing a lot of typing a good keyboard is a must. Laptop keyboard is ...